Bug bites and stings are an inevitable a part of summer season. Regardless of utilizing bug-repelling vegetation, citronella candles, and swatting away pesky mosquitoes, I can’t appear to keep away from these itchy bites! This 100% pure bug chew balm, made with a number of easy components, offers soothing aid for redness, itching, and swelling.
And it doesn’t sting like different bug chew cures, which is a large bonus. Oh, and—did I point out?—it additionally smells fantastic!
For this balm, I selected components primarily based on how effectively they take the sting out of bug bites. When you have youngsters (and even when you don’t), you know the way inconceivable it may be to get them to cease scratching! It’s all they wish to do!
So it’s essential to decide on important oils and butters which were proven to assuage irritation, calm the fireplace, and eliminate the itch.
Calendula oil – Not solely is calendula tremendous soothing, nevertheless it’s additionally a serious anti-inflammatory that’s been used for hundreds of years to deal with wounds [source] that simply received’t appear to heal. For those who’re in a rush, you should buy calendula oil on the retailer, however we advocate making your individual contemporary calendula oil for optimum skin-soothing advantages when you’ve got the time.
Tea tree important oil – Identified for its anti-pain, anti-swelling, and anti-itching qualities, tea tree can also be antibacterial and antifungal, so it ought to assist hold these annoying bug bites from getting contaminated [source].
Lavender important oil – Lavender is a strong anti-inflammatory [source] with soothing pain-relieving results [source] that shortly take the ache and itch out of bites.
Beeswax – All-natural beeswax offers therapeutic and moisturizing properties. Plus, it offers this bug chew balm a stable, balmy consistency.
Shea butter – Typically used as a pure physique lotion, shea butter comprises many kinds of fatty acids that work as moisturizers, antioxidants, and a excessive vitamin E content material [source].
Avocado oil – This oil has been proven to advertise collagen formation [source], moisturize chapped pores and skin, and scale back age spots. Plus it has a thick, soothing consistency that I like.
See recipe card for portions.
To get began, soften shea butter, avocado oil, and beeswax in a small pan over low warmth and stir effectively.
Take away from warmth and stir in calendula, lavender, and tea tree oils. It does set shortly as soon as it’s off the warmth, so that you’ll wish to work quick.
Pour the melted oils right into a small glass jar and let cool for a number of hours or in a single day.
It makes about 5 ounces of balm, which ought to final one particular person your entire summer season. To make use of, apply on to bug bites 2–3 occasions a day, or as typically as wanted to maintain itching at bay.
Trace: This recipe makes a fairly stable bug chew balm that received’t soften within the warmth of the summer season. For those who desire a softer cream, use half as a lot beeswax.
This recipe is fairly versatile. Whereas the components are tried and examined in my house, they’re not the one ones you need to use. It’s fairly onerous to mess this up, so be at liberty to check out totally different combos of oils till you discover one thing that works for you.
Lavender important oil—Chamomile, peppermint, and rose geranium are all soothing important oils that may assist take the itch out of bug bites. See beneath for a whole checklist of oils. Simply be sure that to maintain the identical variety of complete drops within the recipe when switching out important oils.
Avocado oil—Any impartial service oil will work, however you possibly can strive olive, coconut, jojoba, or almond oil.
Beeswax—For those who’re vegan or would like to make use of a less expensive different, you need to use pure candelilla wax rather than beeswax.
I desire to make use of a number of small jars which can be straightforward to toss in my bag or hold within the medication cupboard, however your bug chew balm can simply be poured into an empty lip balm tube (like these bug chew sticks) for hands-free software.
This balm ought to hold for 6-12 months with out going unhealthy. For those who discover an off odor, the oils could have gone rancid, through which case you must make a contemporary batch.
Finest Important Oils for Bug Bites
A number of important oils are recognized for his or her anti-inflammatory properties that may soothe bug bites and supply aid from itching, redness, and irritation.To make use of, combine 6 drops of oil with a tablespoon of service oil and therapeutic massage into the pores and skin.
1. Lavender: A examine performed in 2015 discovered that lavender has anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties, for one use much like that of steroids [source], making it an ideal alternative for bug bites.
2. Rose geranium: Rose geranium important oil is an alternative choice that’s typically used to assuage bug bites. It is recognized for its nice floral scent and potential skin-soothing properties to cut back the redness, swelling, and irritation of bites.
3. Lemongrass: As a result of its anti-inflammatory properties [source], lemongrass will help calm the irritation and discomfort related to insect bites. Plus, it may possibly assist hold bugs from biting within the first place!
4. Camphor: Because of its analgesic and anti inflammatory properties [source], camphor important oil is good for treating even the worst insect bites. Moreover, it additionally comprises insecticidal properties [source], making it helpful in serving to to maintain the bugs away to start with!
5. Chamomile: Each Roman and German chamomile oils have anti-inflammatory properties that may assist alleviate itching and irritation brought on by bug bites.
6. Tea Tree: Tea tree oil is a incredible oil to have readily available for any variety of pores and skin points. It is a mild but highly effective oil that’s continuously used to each forestall bug bites and deal with them after the very fact.
7. Rosemary: Rosemary important oil has potent anti-inflammatory results [source] that assist it to chill redness and irritation shortly.
8. Cypress: Cypress important oil is used for varied pores and skin points, together with irritation. It comprises antimicrobial properties [source] that may assist assist pores and skin well being and therapeutic, and it is also thought-about to be extremely astringent.
9. Peppermint: Peppermint important oil (and different oils containing menthol) creates a cooling sensation on the pores and skin that helps soothe the burn and itch you typically get with bites. Peppermint oil can also be antimicrobial [source], which helps scale back the chance of an infection related to some bites.
Variation: Soothing Bug Chunk Spray
As an alternative of a balm, you may make a bug chew spray with important oils that work collectively to calm irritation, ease the itch, and hold irritation at bay.
Pour service oil right into a small spray bottle. Add important oils, then change the lid and provides it a superb shake. Fill the remainder of the bottle with rose water.
Spritz 1–2 occasions instantly on bug bites, and gently therapeutic massage into the pores and skin. Wash your fingers when completed.
Variation: All-Pure Bug Spray
Do that easy bug-repelling spray to maintain bugs away:
Pour jojoba oil into your spray bottle then add the important oils. Prime with witch hazel and glycerin. Shake very effectively earlier than utilizing because the components naturally separate.
When making use of, you do not want very a lot – a number of spritzes labored nice for every arm and leg. It does should be reapplied extra typically than different repellants – each few hours or so.
Positive, I don’t see why not! It’s also possible to use it to moisturize dry hair or soften parched pores and skin after spending time within the solar.
Sure, peppermint oil is fantastic for soothing itchy, irritated pores and skin. Its scent is extremely sturdy, although, so solely add 2–3 drops at most.
No, after we say “calendula oil” on this recipe, we’re referring to a service oil, reminiscent of olive or jojoba, that has been infused with calendula, like the method right here.
It’s measured by weight. An oz of stable beeswax is roughly 2 tablespoons melted.
All-Pure Bug Chunk and Sting Balm
Made with 100% pure components to assuage the itch and ache of bug bites and stings.
Yield: 5 ounces
In a small pan, soften shea butter, avocado oil, and beeswax. Stir effectively.
Take away from warmth and stir in calendula, lavender, and tea tree oils.
Let cool barely, then pour into small jars or lip balm containers. Let cool fully.
To make use of, apply on to bug bites 2–3 occasions a day, or as typically as wanted to maintain itching at bay.
This balm ought to hold for no less than a 12 months with out going unhealthy. For those who discover an off odor, the oils could have gone rancid, through which case you must make a contemporary batch.
This text was medically reviewed by Dr. Gina Jansheski, a licensed, board-certified doctor who has greater than 20 years of follow expertise. Study extra about Hi there Glow’s medical reviewers right here. As all the time, this isn’t private medical recommendation, and we advocate that you simply speak along with your physician.